FYLLO Tea (MATCHA) Cake
Traditionally consumed in East Asia, matcha is a finely crushed powder made from specially produced and processed green tea leaves. Matcha green tea cake with a striking, recognisable green that awakens you. It has a golden brown exterior and has delicately cooked Japanese flavours inside.
Steps by Steps
- To make cake, line bottom of 20 x 12 x 7.5 cm cake pan with 2 layers of parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Whisk 10 g castor sugar with egg yolks till dissolved.
- Add corn oil. Whisk till just combined.
- Add green tea. Whisk will just thoroughly mixed.
- Sift cake flour into mixture. Whisk till just thoroughly mixed but small lumps are still visible.
- Separately whisk egg whites till frothy.
- Add cream of tartar. Whisk till thick foam forms.
- Gradually add 45 g castor sugar whilst still whisking.
- Continue to whisk till the firm peak stage.
- Thoroughly whisk yolk mixture, which should be smooth now.
- Add half of egg whites. Mix with whisk till almost even.
- Add remaining egg whites. Mix with whisk till almost even.
- Scrape down and fold with spatula till just evenly mixed, banging mixing bowl against worktop 2-3 times.
- Pour batter into 20 x 12 x 7.5 cm cake pan, slowly and from about 30 cm high. Jiggle pan till batter is level. Place cake pan holding batter in 23 x 15 cm cake pan. Tuck cardboard between 2 pans.
- Bake till middle of cake doesn’t make squish- ing sound when pressed gently, about 55 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven. Remove cardboard and outer pan. Drop pan holding cake from about 30 cm high, 2-3 times. Invert pan onto wire rack. Leave till just cool.
- As soon as cake is cool, slide knife along sides of the pan.
- Unmould cake. Discard both layers of parchment paper.
- To make whipped cream, whisk the cream till just thick enough to hold its shape.
- Whisk till evenly mixed and cream is dead stiff.
- To assemble, cut cake horizontally with serrated knife or cake slicer into 2 equal halves. Set aside bottom half of cake. Invert top half so that cut side faces up. Spread with half of whipped cream. Top with remaining half of cake, cut side down. Spread with remaining whipped cream. Smooth top. Trim about 1 cm from 4 edges.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Refrigerate till ready to serve.
Serving Size 20 Persons
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 125kcal
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 1.5g3%
- Saturated Fat 0.5g3%
- Cholesterol 15mg5%
- Sodium 22.5mg1%
- Potassium 35mg1%
- Total Carbohydrate 25g9%
- Sugars 15g
* Percent Daily Values are estimated. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your needs.
- Cooking time does not include the time required to chill matcha cake in the refrigerator.
- Nutrition Facts are based on the estimated value provided by Carb Manager.